Here’s how you can help the tornado disaster relief effort in West Tennessee, from the Jackson Sun newspaper:

Here’s how to give or get storm assistance
The following is information on how to help and how to get help following Tuesday’s storms. If your organization has resources to add to this list for people who need help, or if you are having a fundraiser or benefit, send your information to

  • Charter Media/Communications along with 101.5 FM radio plan to produce a disaster relief telethon called West Tennessee Storm Relief Telethon to raise money for the tornado victims, according to a press release.

    It will air from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday on channel 19.It

    will be produced and fed live from the Charter Media Studio at 919 North Parkway in Jackson across the state to all Charter cable systems.All money pledged will go to the American Red Cross.

  • The West Tennessee Healthcare Foundation is collecting donations for the Disaster Relief Fund to help those who have suffered damage.”This is the same fund that we have used for the past three tornadoes,” said foundation president Frank McMeen.The fund collected more than $600,000 after the 2003 tornadoes and more than $100,000 after the 1999 tornado.For more information, call 660-8770. To donate, send checks to Disaster Relief Fund at West Tennessee Healthcare Foundation, 708 West Forest Avenue, Jackson, TN 38301.
  • Donations also may be made to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund and sent to The American Red Cross Jackson Area Chapter, 1981 Hollywood Drive, Jackson, TN 38305.
  • Union University’s board of trustees has established a fund for designated gifts to be sent to Union University Disaster Relief Fund, 1050 Union University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305.
  • University officials also have established an emergency call center, according to call center will be staffed 24 hours a day for the near future at (731) 668-1818 or (731) 661-5000.People interested in helping on campus should check the Web site and regarding opportunities to help with cleanup.
  • Students who need temporary identification for air travel or to use as a driver’s license should call Linda Cone at 423-6622. The cost is $20 for out-of-state students or $8 for in-state students. Students will need to obtain an official letter from Union University with their name, date of birth and enrollment status. See Dottie Myatt in the Chi Omega house for that letter.
  • Students needing passports, driver’s licenses or any other identification should contact Jane Jolley in U.S. Sen. Bob Corker’s office at (731) 424-9655 or by e-mail at
  • Jackson Energy Authority said it expected all customers, except for those who live on Walker Road or in Huntersville, to have their electrical services restored by 10 p.m. Thursday. If you did not, call the JEA customer service line at 422-7500.
  • Southwest Tennessee Electric Membership Corporation expects everywhere except a few scattered outages to have power. If you still do not, call 1-888-440-1990.
  • The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army will work together to ensure each affected site has food for residents and volunteers. Call the Red Cross at 427-5543 to find out where feeding stations will be set up.
  • The Red Cross will set up a service center at the Ararat Baptist Church.
  • Donations of food, hygiene items and money are needed by the Red Cross. To donate, call (731) 427-5543. No clothing is needed at this time.
  • Dement Construction Company has begun removing debris that has been brought to the street. If you have debris at the street and need it removed, call 425-2489.
  • A list of potential volunteers was being collected through the Emergency Management Agency Phone Bank at 425-8362.
  • Volunteers who are trained in the use of chain saws for disaster relief should contact Randy Brown, of Disaster Relief for Madison County-Baptist Men’s Group, at (901) 485-0767.
  • Central Distributors is bringing several hundred cases of water to donate.
  • Rusken Packaging has agreed to donate and deliver boxes to residents. If you need boxes, call 423-4464.
  • The approved burn site for the county is Old Huntersville Gin property, which will accept wooded waste and vegetation only.
  • The approved burn site for the city is the Old City Concrete property on Ameristeel Road.
  • The city is waiving permit fees for any work done on tornado-damaged homes. However, before beginning work to repair the home, you must obtain a permit from the city Building Department on the second floor of City Hall. Call 425-8262.
  • A news release from the city of Jackson reminds residents to make sure that anyone who contacts you about performing any type of repair to your home or business has an active local business license and is properly bonded. Any contractor who does work that exceeds $25,000 must have a local business license and a general contractor’s license.
  • If you have damage to your home or business, you are encouraged to first contact your insurance carrier. If you do not have insurance, city officials recommend calling the Area Homebuilders Association at 423-6226.
  • For contractors/equipment, contact Susan White, of the city of Jackson, by e-mailing her at or faxing her at 265-1869.
  • Leave a Reply

    Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

    You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

    Google photo

    You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

    Twitter picture

    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

    Facebook photo

    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

    Connecting to %s

    %d bloggers like this: